August 27, 2017

2017 Fantasy Football Draft

2017 Fantasy Football Draft
Todd Swank's Diary Entry for August 27, 2017

Luke has been at college for more than a week and seems to be really enjoying himself.  Avery doesn't leave for college until Tuesday, but he decided to give us his own medical drama before he leaves us.  He was diagnosed with Mononucleosis on Monday and has spent most of the week very, very sick.  He seems to be recovering a bit now, although he still has a fever, loss of appetite, and is generally fatigued which the doctors tell us may last for quite awhile yet.   But Avery is confident he'll be ready to go to college on Tuesday and we are hopeful he doesn't have any setbacks to allow that to happen.

Friday night was my Fantasy Football draft.  This is a league I've played in now for 11 years and it just keeps getting better and better.  While my Fantasy Football skills have been getting worse and worse.

I had my cheat sheets and pick lists all ready to go.

This is the traveling trophy our league competes to win each year.  I was sad to see that it hasn't been mine since 2010.  I think I'm overdue for another win!!

The draft lasted somewhere between 4 - 5 hours and was full of drama and intrigue.  

Our league does an auction style draft and our friend, Curtis, does a great job keeping everyone in line as we bid on the various players.  Steve "Cuds" Cuddihy is our commissioner and is widely regarded as one of the best in the business.

 My team name is the Crippled Monkeys and you can see the results of my draft here.  I tried to switch up strategies this year and didn't blow my entire bankroll on one or two superstar players and instead focused on giving myself some depth at receiver and running back.  We'll see how that works out for me.

We have a fun crew of people who participate in this league.  Our email exchanges may get a little "vulgar" from time to time, but I think that has built some solid camaraderie amongst us over the years.

On Saturday, we headed over to the St. Croix River to go on a late afternoon boat ride.

We haven't seen our friends, the Zitzewitzes, for awhile so we figured we'd crash their boat party while the weather will still allow us to do so.

We saw this bird on the shore when we first arrived.  It was standing so still, I thought it had to be dead or sleeping.  But then it quickly shifted it's head and I realized he must have been hunting for something in the rocks.  Sneaky bird.

The weather was pretty rainy out, but we had faith that Captain Karl would not lead us astray.  We set sail for dinner.

The river was pretty quiet and we didn't have a little of company traveling around with us.  I guess that's what happens on rainy Saturdays late in August.

We arrived at our destination in Hudson, Wisconsin.  I was a little disappointed that there weren't crowds waiting there to welcome us, but I can only assume it must have been a weather thing.

We stopped and paid homage to this confident young Boy Scout who sits on the shores of the St. Croix River.  The statue was erected in honor of the anniversary of 100 years of the Boy Scouts.

We ate at the Postmark Grille in Hudson which was pretty darned good.  Then we got back on the boat and left for home. A good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment